Wednesday, October 21, 2009

More cookies

A couple of days ago I made some ginger snaps. I couldn't find my regular recipe (which, by the way, earned me a Best in Show ribbon and $25 in our fair several years ago) so I tried a similar one. The main difference between the two is that that my regular recipe uses vegetable oil while the other one uses shortening and butter. The new recipe also calls for white pepper, and some ground ginger mixed in with the sugar that the dough balls are rolled in. They turned out OK, but they left me wanting to make some using my regular recipe.

Today I found my regular recipe and made some more. I did like the addition of the white pepper and the extra ground ginger, so I incorporated them to my regular recipe.

2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon white pepper

1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
In a large bowl mix oil and 1 cup of sugar. Add egg, beat well. Stir in molasses. Add flour, baking soda and spices and mix well. If necessary, add more flour to make a firm dough.
Combine 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger. Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls and roll in sugar/ginger mixture. Place 3 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 7 to 8 minutes for chewy, longer for crispy. Remove from baking sheet and cool on rack.

2 comments:

Not Hannah said...

Have you ever tried dicing up some candied ginger and throwing that in? Lawsy.

Aleta said...

Ohhhh, I've had this hankering to make cookies or bread. Something sweet and what Greg can't eat (he's diabetic)... but if I could just fill the house with the scents, yummy!! (Then I'd have to give them all away, so Greg doesn't eat any. Lol)