Monday, July 21, 2008

to blog or not to blog

Much consideration has gone into my decision to create this blog. Using the tried and true method of listing all of the positives and all of the negatives, my final answer is...this blog is on! Now, I could just list here the all pros and cons, but that would not be in keeping with one of reasons I first considered starting a blog in the first place. There were many times, before anyone ever heard of a blog, that I thought about keeping a journal. While in high school, I recorded everyday events on the big, open squares of a brightly colored, spiral bound Peanuts calendar. Of course, some of these "events" were non-school sanctioned "field trips" and they had to be cleverly disguised or abbreviated! I wish I would have saved that calendar. In reading the blogs of both friends and strangers, I've come to realize that sharing everyday experiences is more than just a way to keep family and friends informed. It can be inspirational, thought provoking, entertaining, and much more, but it is getting much too late for me put into words what I'm trying to say. There enter a couple of the cons: prioritization and obsessiveness. Sometimes (there may be some who would use the word "often") I have a problem in those areas. Perhaps it would have been better for me to enter the blogosphere after I got ready for my camping trip, since I plan to leave by 10 am! And just maybe I shouldn't be so fussy about some things and just "git 'er done" instead of spending so much time laboring over just the right word or phrase, or trying to remember the rules for using punctuation. Oh, well, if there are any English teachers reading this, know that it has been a long time since I've really used the skills I learned in school and an even longer time since I was in school actually learning them!
Watch for my next post which will be coming at the end of the week and will include photos of good times with forever friends at beautiful Lake Tahoe.

P.S. It's a good thing this allows editing even after posting!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Yeah!!!!! Martha, I am so excited to watch you create your own blogging world. It is so much fun!
Have a blast in Tahoe (I know you will) and I look forward to some great photos! Love ya and miss ya lots!